FREE solar irradiance data for your research project
At Solcast, our mission is to enable you to complete yours. As a researcher, we’ll provide you with access to our Recent and Historical solar irradiance data for non-commercial research use.
How do you get your FREE solar radiation data?
To take advantage of this offer, you have two options.
- Register for the Solcast API service using your University email address and get $400 of historical data credits.
- Provide a link from your University and/or project webpage back to Solcast using the anchor text “solar irradiance data” and get $2500 of historical data credits.
Historical data extracts are $100/year/site and include all the solar and weather parameters covered on our pricing page. Data are available at 5/10/15/30/60 minute resolution, for up to 12 years.
Additional requirements of this offer include:
- You share us preprints of your publications or thesis (we want to see what awesome work you did!)
- You only use our data for non-commercial research use, and you don’t share our data with any third parties without our explicit written permission
- You don’t do or publish anything that could be reasonably expected to cause damage or harm to Solcast’s reputation
Need even more free data?
If you need data for new sites, or for many sites, talk to us about options. Don’t worry, even if it’s significant work for us, we’ll only make a cost proposal to you based on cost recovery for our time at cost.
That’s it! If you have any further questions, hit us up on the chat bubble at bottom right!
Get started on you FREE data access
Very soon, we’ll offer an automated tool for retrieving your data and being issued your credits. Until then, there are a few things you need to do:
- Contact our CTO (Nick) via the chat bubble at the bottom right of this page.
- Confirm that you agree to the above terms; and raise any limitations you have on complying with them
- Let us know what research institute you are working/studying at
- Provide a list of latitude & longitude locations for your historical data (if applicable)
- Let us know what data types you require and the time period being requested
- And be sure to visit the registration page so you can get started (NOTE: we recommend using your .edu email address so we can confirm your research status straight away)!